UX/UI Design Lead
Fat Beehive is seeking an experienced and exceptional user-experience designer who will design as well as lead and oversee the overall design output of the agency. They should have a passion for the charity sector and a strong portfolio of work that reflects this sector and the work we do at Fat Beehive, or be able to demonstrate skills and understanding that can be readily transferred. At Fat Beehive, we plan, design and build WordPress and Drupal websites as well as web apps and occasional campaigns for charities, social enterprises and NGOs.
This is a key role in the agency and would suit an ambitious, self-motivated, versatile designer already in a similar role or looking for their next step up and the profile and responsibilities that come with leading a design team.
Key duties & responsibilities
Planning and UX, 5%
- Be curious about and understand how different audiences behave online.
- Work with our user research consultants to gather the most relevant insights for each project.
- Plan your tasks in a Kanban Agile style (we will teach you this) that meets the agreed budget and timings.
Pitching and creative direction, 20%
- Prepare for and attend pitches for new business.
- Energise and inspire clients to buy our vision for their website or campaign.
- As the agency’s creative lead as well, we will also turn to you for broader creative ideas and input for such executions as social media content and advertising.
- Seek creative opportunities within briefs to deliver even more and better results for our clients.
Interface design, 40%
- Interpret user research and recommendations into beautiful, suitable user-centric interface designs.
- Keep up to date with and push the agency’s design towards best practices and the latest innovations in web design.
- Present your own as well as the team’s designs and sell/justify them to clients at all levels.
Frontend development, 20%
At Fat Beehive, we have always hired designers who also code frontend, believing that this produces better, responsive design and a more efficient design phase. Ideally, this Design Lead will also be comfortable working this way, but we are flexible depending on the candidate and the skills they bring. The following are therefore our ideal, but not mandatory:
- Develop clean, efficient and accessible HTML/Twig and SASS/CSS.
- Collaborate with backend developers to deliver entire sites and web apps.
- Test and optimise your frontend for responsiveness, cross-browser compatibility and accessibility.
- Set frontend standards for the design team and any freelancers.
- Line manage, mentor and develop a fellow designer.
- Represent Fat Beehive and network at industry events to further our profile and attract the best talent and business.
- Work with the Technical Lead and Head of Production to continually optimise ways to plan and deliver projects.
- Accurately track time spent and ensure efficient production.
- Web design, preferably for WordPress and Drupal sites.
- Ideally, but not necessarily frontend development using Twig/SASS.
- A portfolio of wider design and campaign experience is advantageous.
- Experience in an agency environment preferred.
- Relevant design, computer science degree or more.
What we offer
Other benefits include a training budget, pension scheme, drinks on Fridays, and a weekly chair massage (from a qualified masseuse) to prevent RSI.
95% of our clients are charity and not-for-profit organisations. We actively seek to work with this type of client and this means you’ll get to work with some very nice people indeed.
About Fat Beehive
We are a small team who work in a relaxed, informal office in the heart of Shoreditch. There is often cake. There is often music playing. We don’t have a ping-pong table, table football or an office dog (and we have no plans to get one). We tolerate beards, but only because Danny has one. We hire and work with people who are focused on the charity and not-for-profit sector, who love and follow the web’s developments but who stop at the weekend to do something totally different.
We don’t work for oil, mining, arms, banking and sweatshops. But we do work for charities that challenge these and more. Join us.
We especially encourage applications from women, BAME, and disabled candidates.
Reminder: Please include a cover letter with your application.
More searches like this
- Creative and Design Digital Agency jobs in London (Central)
- Digital / Online Marketing Digital Agency jobs in London (Central)
- User Experience (UX) Digital Agency jobs in London (Central)
- User Interface (UI) Digital Agency jobs in London (Central)
- Digital Design Digital Agency jobs in London (Central)