External Communications Adviser
External Communications Adviser South West London - start ASAP £150-£200 Per day - 3 days a week until mid-December 2020
This role is a part -time role - three days a week for three months, with flexible hours and the option of working from home. Looking for someone to start in the role week commencing the 28th of September.
The role is to publicise a variety of University activities, research projects and teaching and learning successes with effective and engaging communication, particularly targeting a range of external audiences. The successful candidate will support the current External Communications team in producing effective and engaging copy for a variety of projects. You will be a creative communicator with a real way with words, adept at:
- Understanding the needs of different external audiences.
- Working to tight deadlines to create relevant and timely messaging to keep all audiences informed and engaged
- Writing website news stories and press releases.
- Proactively positioning senior staff to provide expert comment on breaking news stories.
- Responding to press enquiries from print and online news outlets and coordinating filming requests from broadcast news crews in a timely and efficient manner.
- Supporting the External Communications team where needed by producing impactful social media content
- Repurposing content for a range of communications platforms.
- Playing a key part in communications campaigns.
- Adapting messaging to meet rapidly evolving organisational needs.
- Handling confidential information when working with senior members of staff.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate
- Degree or equivalent qualification and experience.
- Ability to write copy and produce content for a range of external audiences.
- Previous experience as a journalist or working in a press office would be highly desirable.
- Ability to take complex information and to relevant external audiences.
- A strong eye for detail and superb editing and proof-reading skills
- Ability to tailor writing for a range of channels including digital platforms and print publications
- Ability to deal with sensitive information and have a high level of political awareness.
- Knowledge of best practice in media management, print and digital communications.
- An interest in higher education - how it works and the major challenges it faces.
- Ability to communicate diplomatically and persuasively.
- Ability to work with sensitive and highly confidential information.
- Familiarity with working with the news media and dealing with journalists working to tight deadlines.
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to manage a busy workload and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
If this role is of interest, please do apply ASAP with an up-to-date Word version of your CV highlighting all your relevant experience.