Head of Design
Head of Design
The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) is a world-leading research organisation that provides independent, objective information on military, geopolitical and geo-economic developments that could lead to conflict.
Institute is seeking to appoint a Head of Design to make a creative contribution to the IISS’ world-leading research, publications and international events. This is a new role and will report into the Director of Editorial.
- Lead the design and production of digital marketing material as required by the Communication and Engagement team, to support publications, conferences and events.
- Manage, in collaboration with all the IISS’s teams across all the Institute’s offices, the design of all IISS branding assets as required. This will include digital assets for social media, stationery, folders, flyers, signs and other material as needed.
- Recruit, train, develop and manage the IISS print and digital design team.
- Build relations with third party providers to augment the design capabilities and capacity of the Institute.
- Design, in collaboration with the Communications and Engagement team, new content and marketing templates as required to support digital publications
- Manage the design, typeset and final delivery of files to the printer for IISS core publications: Adelphi, Armed Conflict Survey, Military Balance, Strategic Comments, Strategic Survey and Survival and also for ad hoc publications such as Strategic Dossiers.
- Manage, in collaboration with the Editorial Services Manager, the production of all IISS core publications with IISS publishers, Taylor & Francis, including delivery to the printer, checking laser proofs and approval of running sheets.
- Manage, in collaboration with the Editorial Services Manager, the production of research papers to final publication in print and digital formats.
- Schedule the design and production of all IISS publications.
- Develop, manage and maintain the IISS Graphics Library.
- Ensure that IISS design at all times reflects the quality aspirations of the Institute and that the Institute reflects changes in design technology where appropriate.
- Be the first point of contact for all design at IISS.
The successful candidate will posses a creative and innovative approach to media production, with the ability to track and implement latest thinking, technology and best-practice to complement and promote the IISS’ values and objectives.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with knowledge and skills. The IISS provides a full employment package. More information about the IISS can be found at www.iiss.org.
Candidates should submit a cover letter stating their suitability for the post and a CV.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we will be unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Shortlisted candidates will be set a pre-interview task focused on one of our event videos and should be prepared to talk through the task at interview.
The IISS is an equal opportunities employer.